Electricity helps make our lives easier but there are times when we can take its power and its potential for fire-related hazards for granted.
Electrical malfunction is the leading cause of home fires year after year. Here is everything you need to know about protecting your home and your family!
Home Electrical Fires - Did You Know?
- There are more than 45,000 home electrical fires every year
- About half of these involve lighting equipment and home electrical wiring
- Home electrical fire deaths peak between midnight and 6 a.m.
- Peak months for electrical fire deaths are December through March
What to Know About Electrical Fire Prevention
- Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.
- Check your electrical cords. If they are cracked or damaged, replace them. Don’t try to repair them.
- Don’t overload extension cords or wall outlets.
- Never use extension cords with appliances. Plug them directly into wall outlets.
Quick Tips to Share
Share these graphics with your family and friends to spread the word! We encourage you to print these and also share on social media.